Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stage Fright- An Eventual Love Story

Funny how you can be so nervous to do something then turn around and have it be the thing you miss doing the most. In other words, I wish I were back on stage. With the success of "Proud Mary", I'm ready now to focus entirely on my next two upcoming performances. I cant wait to dance again, despite the butterflies I know I'll get. I love the unique thrill that only comes in the split-second silence between curtain and music.
I stood there today, perfectly posed onstage, waiting for the curtain to part and the music to begin. I felt the hot lights on my face, that wonderful temporary blindness. I drank it in, shedding my nervousness. Then, the music started. I felt the energy rise from my feet to my head. This sudden rush of adrenaline filled my movements. Every jump was higher, every turn was fuller, and every kick was sharper than it had been at dress rehearsal. Each time I am on stage, I walk away amazed at how much the experience improved my performance. To be caught up in the pounding of your heart as your energy level rises with every 8-count is truly a feeling like no other.
These are the moments I live for. The two-minute, thirty-second rush that dancing on a stage creates is the most fantastic thrill I think I have ever and will ever experience. So, the lesson I feel I have learned through performing and the stage fright that inevitably comes with it is this: you can't let yourself be held back by your nervousness. If you do, your performance will be limited by the things you've told yourself you can or can't do. Don't become limited! Don't set restraints for yourself with fear. If you do, you might just miss the thrill of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment