Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Amazing Grace

There's nothing quite so amazing as feeling used. This Sunday, Easter Sunday, I danced to Amazing Grace and I felt very used indeed. I feel like I gave one of my greatest performances. I think its because I wasn't performing for the audience. I was performing for Someone far greater, and the joy that came through the performance that was portrayed vicariously through me was incredible. I was used. Used to touch lives through a dance. To me, that's the most gratifying feeling, and I'm so grateful to have been able to experience it. I left the stage feeling speechless. I had a surreal moment of personal reflection as I quietly climbed the stairs to the dressing rooms, and I couldn't help but smile. The sight I witnessed at the top of the stairs was proof that I wasn't the only one who felt that way. The rest of the dancers were speechless too. Some were teary-eyed. But we were all smiling the same smile. We had all been used, and sharing that unspoken knowledge in that moment was incredibly beautiful.

So, my lesson learned? Life is too short to be useless. We overanalyze situations too much sometimes, and end up talking ourselves out of participation. In this way, we prevent ourselves from being used. How can you touch a life if you have closed your mind to the idea by convincing youself that your knowledge, personality, talent, whatever, is inadequate? What a sad life to live. We all have doubts about putting ourselves out there, but we need to learn how to ignore them so we can be of the most use possible. I had a purpose on Sunday, and sure I had my doubts and "what-if's", but I didn't let that stop me from providing myself to be used for that Divine purpose. You can't let it stop you, either. You have a purpose too. Go fulfill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment