Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dancing With Trees

"For winter's rains and ruins are over,
And all the season of snows and sins;
The days dividing lover and lover,
The light that loses, the night that wins;
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in green underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins."
~Algernon Charles Swinburne

Every year, I look forward to spring- the fresh smell of mowed lawns, the shining colors of blossoming flowers, the warm breeze tossing dandelion seeds through the air. I love everything about the season (except the allergies!) and I aslo love the inspiration it provides for a lot of the things I do, especially dancing.
Every time I turn around, I see how the earth is filled with dancing- butterflies caught up in their fluttering waltz, llittle birds dancing a jitterbug through the treetops, streams laughing as they twirl across creekbed ballrooms.
But the trees are the most beautiful of all. The grace in their magnitude is overpowering, and you can't help but pause to watch them as they bend and bow with the musical wind. Releasing their blossoms to tumble behind them like the sash of a ribbon dancer, they create quite a vivid spectacle of beauty.
Each year, when the trees are in full bloom, and the breeze is warm enough to coax off my jacket, I celebrate by joining the trees in a dance.
At the college near my house, there are lined up neatly beside the road three gigantic trees that produce the biggest, bright pink flowers for about two weeks every May. The first time I remember seeing these gorgeous trees, I was about ten years old. My mother, little brother and I were driving down the road when we were struck with their beauty. We happened to catch them in the prime of their bloom, and the breeze was an orchestra that day. We were so taken by their dance, that we decided to join them.
So, we made the right into the parking lot beside the tennis court, and strode up the small hill to where the trees beckoned us, "Come and dance."
And dance we did.
I remember feeling like a butterfly as I ran under the branches, catching the falling blossoms as they drifted like snowflakes. I spun through the maze of the floating ribbons of flowers, I climbed to the highest branches as they leapt to the windy crescendos; and during the breezy interludes, I sat down on the cool dirt stage with my family and we played the part of the audience, just catching our breath and enjoying the trees' performance.
We vowed to come back every year in May, to dance with the trees and celebrate the renewal of youthfulness that only springtime can bestow.
Too often, I believe, we forsake spontaneity. We get caught up in the hum drum of daily life, and overlook the beauty of nature that was created for us to enjoy. And why? Why do we not take advantage of every little opportunity to celebrate the life we have been given? We only have a few years on planet Earth. Why waste it focusing only on the mundane chores day in and day out? Don't rob yourself of happiness! Get out there and dance! Fill your lungs with the warm spring breeze, and just for a moment or two, forget about that worry or stress that's been such a burden. Just dance. Let tomorrow worry about itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment