Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dream On

Last night, I had a dream.

The world was quiet, everyone was asleep, and my overactive imagination came out to play.  I dreamed that I was on a stage in a huge empty theater.  Well, empty except for one person.  The figure remained in the last row, in the shadows, for the extent of time I was performing.  The song was sad and sweet; I'd never heard it before.  But I moved across the stage as one does to a song they hold dear to them, feeling the lights on my face and the air rush over my skin as I twirled and jumped.  Never once did that person in the audience move or show an expression of gratitude or appreciation.  I was performing for an audience of one person that didn't even show signs of care.  But I cared.  I wanted to be sure that person left the theater feeling moved by my dance.  Did they?  Who knows, I woke up before the song ended.  I like to think they did though.

It's inspiring to hear that the things I do are appreciated, but it's also inspiring just to know that they might be.  Some may walk away from a situation moved to tears while others may walk away feeling just as moved, but only inwardly.  I'm inspired by these people as well.  I don't think I have a reason for why I dreamed I was onstage dancing for one person who seemed unappreciative.  Maybe it was to teach me something: not every good thing I do will be met with accolade, and I may never know the people I've touched who prefer to appreciate inwardly.  I think that sometimes it appears as though nobody cares about what you're doing, when in reality they really do and just don't know how to show it.  So, I've decided to not make assumtions about the sincerity of an emotionless person.  Life is too short to get hung up on digging good comments out of people.  Do your best, and if they outwardly appreciate it, awesome.  If they decide to remain quiet about it, all you can do is assume gratitude.  Otherwise, we'd all go crazy.

On another note, or maybe a different side of the same note, I love this song and can't get it out of my head.  Funny really, the title:


BTW, I think the person trying to communicate with "Olivia" in the beginning is hilarious.  They should definitely do this in choir.  It could be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment