Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"We're all in the mood for a melody..."

Ahhh, Sparta, North Carolina.  More than a few words come to mind when I think of the town (and no, gladiators are not involved).  Among them are peace, beauty, home.  I love the atmosphere, the people, and pretty much just the whole aura the small town possesses.  Unfortunately, I only get to make the trip twice a year.  This year, the farm feels empty.  My great grandmother happens to be in a nursing and rehabilitation center to heal some broken ribs.  So, needless to say, I have been making many visits up there to see her. 
The first time I went up there, I noticed a piano sitting in the corner of the dining area.  I know, I know.  Leave it to me to gravitate to a piano.  It was humble to say the least.  An upright Baldwin, in nice condition but in terrible need of a tuning.  Behind it there was a window that looked out into the hall where I stood.  Looking through the window, I saw something beautifully inspiring.  There, sitting at the piano was a little old lady playing hymns.  Walking into the room, I asked her if I could sit and listen to her for a while.  After another hymn, she asked me if I played.  I smiled a little and nodded.  "A little bit".  She stood up from the bench with some help from her walker.  "Well honey, let's hear it!" her southern accent was adorable.  "I can't hardly see no more, so sometimes I end up on the wrong keys, but it don't matter.  Nobody can tell it anyway." 
We traded seats.  I felt the keys under my fingers, guessing how it might play for me.  I couldn't stand the suspense, so I played the first C7 of Billy Joel's "Piano Man".  It was comfortable, out of tune though.  Definitely out of tune.  But somehow, beautiful.  My fingers took right to the keys, like I had played it my whole life.  It practically played itself.  As I played, a few residents and urses began trickling into the dining area, coming to see who was causing the ruckus, no doubt.  I looked around sheepishly when I realized that everyone was watching and listening.  Not wanting to appear nervous, I kept going.  A few chords here, a riff there, just messing around, really.  I'm not used to playing solos to people.  But the best part was that the people loved it, no matter what I played or how many times I messed it up.  It was a great feeling. 
When I was finished, I stood up to leave and was surprised by a smattering of applause from the people who had gathered to watch.  I hadn't expeced that.  What to do?  Smile and wave :).  Finally, I was able to leave.  Before I got out the door, however, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  "Honey that was beautiful!"  It was the same old woman I had first talked to.  "Thanks." I offered.  "I don't think I caught your name?"  "Esther,"  she said with a smile.  I introduced myself and she squeezed my shoulder.  "I hope you come back and play for me again.  I really enjoyed it."  I smiled back.  "So did I."

No comments:

Post a Comment