Monday, July 11, 2011

The Perfect Bass Guitar

It's beautiful. 
So vintage and full of character, like I can't wait to get to know it.  So how did I get it?  My awesome grandfather, the guitar buff, passed it down to me.  We were in a pawn shop looking at guitars when I told him that I was saving for a bass.  He seemed interested and happy with the idea of me learning to play, and proceeded to tell me about the bass he had somewhere that he would give me if we could find it.  Of course, I was ecstatic.  So after driving home, we went on a hunt through the basement. 
We found it in a dusty beat-up case back in a nook behind the furnace.  I watched as my grandfather clicked open the rusty latches and lifted the lid.  There it lay, its thick, silver strings and semi-hollow body clouded over with age.  Man, it was beautiful.  I loved it instantly, and I hadn't even heard it yet.  Under the strings, little pieces of masking tape written in in my grandfather's handwriting marked the notes.  I had to smile to myself.  Hard to imagine someone as musically inclined as him needing to be reminded of something as simple as notes.  Upon closer inspection, we saw some pretty major flaws.  The neck had sunken in, the strings needed replacing, and there were some cracks in the top coat of varnish.  Nonetheless, I was in love. 
It gets better.  We took it out to the garage and set it on top of the four-wheeler seat to clean.  I stood there Pledge dusting the wood and my grandfather left to get something from the house.  Next thing I know, he's lugging a 1960's vintage tube amp out the door.  Painted with blacklight white and flourescent pink paint, it was quite nostalgic.  "Let's plug it in and see if it works," he said, blowing the dust off the cord. 
As he plugged it into the outlet it made a fizzling sound, reminiscent of a freshly poured glass of coke.  There was a soft pop as he plugged the other end of the cord into the guitar.  The vibrations sent little shocks through my fingers.  It was working.  I plucked a few notes and had to smile.  It was horrendously out of tune.  But all at the same time, it was one of the best sounds I'd ever heard. 
My bass.  Me, playing my bass. 
It fit me well. not too big, not awkwardly small.
Just right... 
Perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment